Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Chassis Battery Not Charging

When I am parked at homebase I stay plugged into a 120 circuit. I have been doing this for the 1.5 years I have had my coach. Until recently, seems like it kept my chassis batteries charged along with the house batteries. Now my chassis batteries are not being charge as I have to use the "boost button" to get started. The chassis batteries were new when I bought the coach so I suspect something is wrong. Anyone with ideas how I can fix this to have both sets of batteries charged? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #2

I would follow the voltage. First check the voltage on the house battery terminals. It should be above 13.3 when fully charged and still on charge. Possibly 13.6 volts.

Next check the chassis batteries. Voltage will be well below 13 volts if you cannot start the engine. Possibly below 12.0 volts.

Work back from the chassis batteries to find where the voltage jumps back to house battery voltage level. That point will define the problem.

It is likely a relay, but there are other possibilities. If it is a relay, it probably needs replacement, but again there are other possibilities. Further testing would be required.

Lead acid batteries need to be fully charged for storage. Don't leave them discharged for any longer than you must. Full charge means 14 to 18 hours of regulated charging.

You could hold the boost button for at least 10 hours or run the engine for 10 hours. You could hook up an external battery charger or jumper a bad relay.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #3

Without some voltage and amperage numbers from the battery bank, it is difficult to say whether there is a charging issue, a bad battery issue, a bad starter issue, or a chassis battery charging issue.

The first step is to measure the voltage in the chassis batteries to know their state.

If more than 12.8V after resting, probably not a charging issue.
If the voltage is more than 13.2 while charging, also indicates not a charging issue.
If the voltage is less than 13.2V while charging, it indicates a charging issue. Not being familiar with the setup in your coach there are a few items to check such as the isolation realy and bird or a solid state isolation relay. Each would have their on troubleshooting process.

If less than 12.8V after resting, probably a battery issue.

A clamp on amp meter on the +ve cable that runs to the starter will provide starter draw. If the current draw is larger than the rating of the starter, it's probable a starter or corroded battery connection issue. If the current draw is more than the battery rating, it is probably a starter or corroded battery connection.

Hope it gets you started,
Cliff
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Trik-L-Start

You are experiencing a common problem. I am on my third motorhome, 1 gasser and 2 diesel pushers. None of them kept the chassis batteries charged.
A Trik-L-Start from Amazon will solve the problem. The last one I bough earlier this year cost $72 plus tax and, if you are not a Prime member, shipping. It is a simple 3 wire install with the provided ring terminals.

Good Luck!
Paul8020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #5

How old are your chassis batteries??

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:25 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
How old are your chassis batteries??

Happy Trails
Chassis batteries were new last March. I think they are AGM, but not sure, just know they are the kind I don't have to put water in.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:40 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's a WAG. I had a similar problem on shore power where my chassis batteries were only being charged at @ 12.5v or less. After investigation I found that it was due to a bad temp sensor from my inverter ( I have a Trace RV2012) to the battery. Disconnect your temp sensor and see if things change. I confirmed this by talking to Xantrex and they do not have a replacement and they said just leave it disconnected - not needed.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:48 AM   #8

If its been fine since 2006, you shouldn't need to add any new devices.

If the boost works, that means the isolation charging/solenoid is good.

So, if it has the capabilities to charge the chassis batteries, while on shore power, it could be a charging voltage issue or a failed trik l start type device, already installed.

Check voltage to the house batteries while on shore power. Needs to be 13.3 or move volts. If not, check battery temp sensor.

Look for a device labled a Trik L Start, Amp L Start, or something like that. They have fuses that can be bad.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If its been fine since 2006, you shouldn't need to add any new devices.

If the boost works, that means the isolation charging/solenoid is good.

So, if it has the capabilities to charge the chassis batteries, while on shore power, it could be a charging voltage issue or a failed trik l start type device, already installed.

Check voltage to the house batteries while on shore power. Needs to be 13.3 or move volts. If not, check battery temp sensor.

Look for a device labled a Trik L Start, Amp L Start, or something like that. They have fuses that can be bad.
I don't see any device labelled like you mention. I looked in the bays around the batteries and where the shore power comes in. Can you\anyone share a pic of such a device? Thanks!
Old 11-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #10

just Google it and use the images view.

I've said on this forum many times, if you have a follower charger and it's set up for house battery priority, and the house batteries start to go bad, you never get their voltage high enough to get the follower charger to switch to the chassis batteries.

That arrangement was pretty popular in the late 90s/early 2000's
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #11

I had the same problem with my 2014 Essex. There is a fuse in the cord reel bin & a solenoid, I replaced the solenoid & fuse & that resolved the problem.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:05 AM   #12

It sounds like your BIRD Isolation relay is only energizing when you push the boost switch. That tells you the relay is good but the BIRD isn't actuating the relay. It is supposed to activate the relay after it senses that the house batteries are fully charged so it'll then also charge the chassis batteries. There is a fuse in the sense wire from the house batteries to the bird input. It may be popped.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BIRD Service Manual.pdf (91.8 KB, 220 views)
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Our 06 Monaco absolutely does not charge the chassis batteries when not driving. We learned this the hard way. We now use a device called Trik L Charger (sp) that connects between the house & chassis batteries & keeps them charged. Very easy to install
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Thanks! I will see if I can find and check this device\fuse.

Tags
battery, charging, chassis