Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Question ACA Helpline Question - Turn Signal Lever Broken

I am posting this question for Tojos who called the ACA Helpline earlier this afternoon. He is in Branson, MO and his turn signal lever has been broken off at the hub (thinks the dog did it). Anyway, he has a 2005 Alpine with a SMARTWHEEL and would like to know if anyone knows of the part number for the turn signal lever which is used to signal turns as well as the light dimmer.

Not sure if it is connected into the SMARTWHEEL or a stand alone item. Also, does anyone know what kind of shop he needs to look for to get it repaired? He is not interested in attempting it himself unless it is an easy repair.

If you can help, please respond and I will make sure the information gets relayed to him. They are due to leave Branson tomorrow. Thanks--Marca
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #2

Per VIP SmartWheel docs: The SmartWheel Steering Wheel Control System offers control of the horn, headlamp and marker lamp flash, cruise control, and wiper functions from switches mounted in the steering wheel
So it looks like turn-signals are not SmartWheel.
That's all I've got. Hopefully some other poor slob has better info and can respond w/real info.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #3

Having seen all of the SmartWheel system I care to see, I agree with E-Mike. I think the steering column and turn signal lever are from some other manufacturer,with the SmartWheel bolted on.

It looks and acts a lot like a GM steering wheel, perhaps for trucks? You might try a wrecking yard with it and see if they have the part that would work.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Smile

Thanks Engineer Mike and Old Forester for your advice. In talking with Tojos late yesterday afternoon, I had suggested to him that I did not see the turn signals referenced in the SmartWheel documentation on their website. You both confirmed that thinking was correct.

Also, we speculated that it could be a Ford, GM, or Chevy truck part and he was going to check that out. You confirmed that also. I know that our headlight switch turned out to be a Ford part that was readily available.
The thought about checking with a salvage yard was a good one we hadn't thought about. I have left him a message with the information you both provided. Thanks again for the input!

The ACA Helpline - Let's Keep Those Alpines Rolling!
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Give Audrey's RV a call; see the contact information on the ACA's website. They have a whole bunch of parts for alpines. If they don't have it, see if anyone knows how to contact Mark Hanna(SP) and see if he knows who Alpine got the steering column assembly from. If that fails, see if Fred and Carol Royce's coach was damaged in the front end, and where it is, see if they will sell you the column or at least the blinker arm. If that fails, then contact:
http://www.nwrvsupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? – They have salvage parts from manufacturers and wrecks. Do searches on Motorhome salvage yards, there are quite a few of them around the country, maybe one of them has an old alpine with parts. If all that fails, someone with a S/N close to his could take a look under the dash and see what if any numbers are available on their column. I think the arm is cheaply assembled and I am always worried about it breaking off.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #6

I haven't checked as to the steering column, but manufacturers for a variety of parts were named in the sales brochures accessible on the Alpine Tech Library page. IIWMI'd start w/the 2004 and read backward to see if its there.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #7

Just for grins- there in the 04 brochure: DouglassŪ tilt-telescoping steering column.

Now all you have to do is figure out what that means.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
In doing an internet search, I got several hits on steering columns, but nothing on Douglass, and then I refined the search to Douglass Steering and got the below.
However, here is a link to I think the parent company who might have made the parts and may also have the ones you need.

http://www.douglasautotech.com/dnk/C...0/Default.aspx - goto the "Contact Us" list on the left hand side of the page, and then call the "Heavy Truck Parts folks" and see what they can tell you. I am keeping this link in my Alpine Parts folder on my PC. The web site says they have over 200 columns for big rigs and RV's so this must be the place. Good luck, and please find out if this is the correct place for parts as we all might need it someday.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Thank You.... Chuck & Marca (ACA HelpLine), for your help and support along with EngineerMike, OldForster and Renipladlo in locating a replacement turn signal lever (part number 9203316) for our 2005 Alpine Limited (#75381). Monty & Janet, Your informatinon was dead on, I should have it to install by Friday. In talking with Cindy, she did pass on that they only had a few left in stock and would be able to reorder.
2005 Alpine Limited 40' FDTS #75381 / 2009 Saturn Outlook
TOJOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Glad we could help, that is what we are all here for, to help each other.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #11

TOJO- does that mean Aubrey's had the part?

I exchanged emails w/a guy at Douglas Autotech, and got this in the reply:
The column is likely a 900-series column, for which I have attached a serviceable parts drawing.

For any parts orders, we will need the part number that is on a sticker located under the upper cover.

customerservice@douglasautotech.com will be the contact for ordering any parts.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
How about you send me a copy of the drawing in an e-mail, so I have a reference of it.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
EngineerMike, Yes, They did have the part. I should have by Friday. Part # 9203316 as posted in my message #9, dtd 8/29/2011. I may be contacting you for a copy of your parts drawing. Cindy did say they did have a few in stock, but, once there gone that was it.
2005 Alpine Limited 40' FDTS #75381 / 2009 Saturn Outlook
TOJOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #14

What was the part cost?
I can't imagine that's a proprietary part, gotta be made for them by some supplier. Wonder if we could find out who that is.