Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #57

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
I'm just happy that Washington State allows an offset to sales tax for trade-ins, and now limits our annual licensing fees. The old valuation method they used for annual Personal Property tax on vehicles was so bad that it was easy to vote it out of existence.
Us too!! On our 1998 Santara Type A (sticker $98,000 or so) we paid (in 2000 so 2 years old) some $2,500 for our license renewal.
When they reduced the rate our 2000 DSDP Type A (sticker $154,000), went down to about $35!! That extra $200 a month made a nice dent in the payments on the 2002!
Our present 2002 DSDP (sticker $211,000) is about $136. They added some fees and weight charge back in.
My Odyssey van is due for renewal next month, it's $53, same as a new one would be. In fact my very old utility trailer (from the 1950's, bought used then) is the same cost as a brand new TT for license tags.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
In California, if you buy a motorhome, yacht, private jet, etc. and keep it out of state for 90 days, you do not have to pay the 8.75% Use Tax. It use to be a year, but as I understand it, the yacht lobby paid to have the law changed to just 90 days.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #59

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeaa View Post
In California, if you buy a motorhome, yacht, private jet, etc. and keep it out of state for 90 days, you do not have to pay the 8.75% Use Tax. It use to be a year, but as I understand it, the yacht lobby paid to have the law changed to just 90 days.
WA doesn't do that, in fact they changed it so that anyone moving in either has to pay use or sales tax on an RV or boat even if you've owned it for years. They do allow a reduction if you paid sales/use tax in another state and can show the paperwork. They used to allow the unit in free if it was used out of state for a certain period, I think it was six months back when I administered state construction contracts. But I retired in '98 so I'm no longer up on it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #60

I, like many of you, have always been a good citizen. I've never taken public assistance in any form, or from any other source. I've always paid my full share of taxes on time as I do my bills. The only run ins I've had with the law have a few speeding and parking tickets.

Why do I tell you that? It's because I think I have been an idiot. I know a guy that owns a Prevost that he put under a Montana LLC and he licensed it there along with his toad. He then bought a cheap piece of ground in Florida, Arizona, and a few other places. When he travels he is on a business trip to check up on his properties. See, his LLC is into real estate. His travel expenses are deductible business expenses as are many maintenance costs. I know there are a multitude of of rules and regulations that he has to meet but it's been working for him for years.

My 401k has has tanked, thanks to others. The dollar has tanked and prices have risen, thanks to others. The dollars I sent in for social security are in jeopardy, thanks to others.

If there is a way to legally avoid paying taxes I'm going to do it. I won't evade but I will avoid. It's not black and white anymore boys, it's gray!
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #61

Luke- CA was a 90 day rule state for decades. We adopted a 12 month rule in order to try & collect more taxes. Reverting to the old rule of 90 days wasn't yacht industry lobbying alone. It was a combination of "luxury" products industries, and the legislature/governor growing up & smelling the coffee. Aircraft (where the dollars are stratospheric, and the high tech boys in Silicon Valley want their toys) was dying. If you couldn't bring spanking new aircraft into CA for a year w/out a hefty tax bill, you couldn't do the initial, and important, quality shake downs & all the warranty work, etc. req'd (sounds like a new motorhome?) in CA. Read that: JOBS go out of CA. They tried a one year out of state exemption for state sales tax (ok, call it "use" tax), and it killed jobs galore, not to mention luxury goods sales and the commissions & follow on work that comes w/sales. For anybody w/a brain, you can research what happened to corporate aircraft & yachts & high end rolling stock under Jimmy Carter's Luxury Goods Tax- same thing. Yacht industry died outright. I lost track of the number of brands that went BK on both coasts. So CA let the temporary 12 month limit expire and the old law of 90 days is back as the rule. You have to follow some very specific guidelines to avoid the tax even at that, documenting your out of state use for the 90 days. But now some Californian can buy a new Marathon coach or high end corporate jet, take delivery out of state, use likewise for 90 days, then decide to use it in (and even register it in) CA w/out paying the tax, and finish the shake-down & initial remodel/options/etc. here. Still owe whatever the registration fees are each year which are way high and good revenue (i.e. big bucks w/limited state costs, therefore good net-to-the-treasury dollars).
You might even call the reversion to the 90 day rule something like "common sense."
Old 11-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #62

"If there is a way to legally avoid paying taxes I'm going to do it. I won't evade but I will avoid. It's not black and white anymore boys, it's gray!"

Bob- I'm not sure how legally avoiding taxes fades to gray. If it is according to the law, it is legal and you are being a good citizen by following the rules. I'm sure there are a lot of Montana-registered coaches that are domiciled per whatever local rules apply in states making local tax due, and are therefore flaunting local law. Those folks are asking for a bruising.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #63

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I understand why some people try to get around the taxes. In 2007 I bought a Pace Arrow from a dealer in Fla. I paid the sales tax on the contract. When I returned to Georgia, I received a tax bill from Georgia. I complained to the tax office saying I had already paid Fla. and did not buy it in Ga. They said the state had no reciprocal tax agreement with Fla. and I would have to pay again. Now please tell me how this is fair.
You need to talk to someone who knows a whole lot more about tax law than I do on that one.. Plan on spending 10-50 dollars on the first chat.. Then you can decide if it's worth it to pay him to write a letter. and what letter to write.

All I can say is you **MIGHT** be entitled to a refund.. I'm just not sure who from, of PART of the tax paid.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #64

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
I'm not sure how legally avoiding taxes fades to gray. If it is according to the law, it is legal and you are being a good citizen by following the rules.
There is a HUGE legal industry devoted to the gray area. They rake in billions of dollars helping corporations and even small businesses navigate a tax code that is vague, often contradictory and written by unqualified politicians. The bigger banks often save BILLIONS of dollars by paying a law firm a few million dollars for justifying transactions that you and I would spend jail time for.

The IRS also has big problems deciding on black and white. They often judge a case by it's likelihood of collection and force of resistance before moving forward. The courts are also famous for contradictory rulings on exactly identical cases. It often comes down to who has the bigger lawyer or the most sway with the adjudicating parties, politicos or regulators.

You'll also find that CPA's and attorneys will often navigate the tax preparation minefield by advising the taxpayer to avoid certain red flags (the IRS uses) to keep the IRS from closely scrutinizing the entire return. Paying a few dollars here and there (though technically not required) is often better than paying to defend yourself or facing a full audit or lifestyle audit. Once you get caught in one audit, they are more likely to continue into the future.

That being said, I cannot wait to pay my first million dollar tax bill, but only after my CPA is done paring it down and my tax adviser is done manipulating it. They're vicious!

BTW, after considering a Montana corporation myself, I chose to pay the equivalent price of a new car to the State of California, just so I could sleep better.

Tags
rvs